Friday, June 14, 2013

Midnight Soiree

Before I get into my review for Into the Wild (which will take a bit of time) I wanted to address a movie I recently watched called The Magic of Belle Isle.

I discovered this movie on Netflix, and watched it simply because it had Morgan Freeman in it. I wasn't sure if I was in the mood for a possibly cheesy movie. (Note the cover...)
 
 
 
But it's summer, so I watched it anyway. It was a little cheesy, but my kind of silly, and held one scene in particular that I love. True, the dialogue was a little bit dry and choppy sometimes, but I especially enjoyed the interactions between Morgan Freeman's character Monte (an alcoholic, wheelchair-bound writer who has given up on life after the death of his beloved wife) and a dog named... Spot.
 
Case 1.

 

 
Monte: (continuing) The traditional game of fetch, which I am sure you are familiar with. I hold in my hand a major-league baseball. You might be interested to know, sir, that before I lost the use of my left arm,  I was known to possess a mean cut fast ball.

(Spot, whom he is addressing, readjusts his haunches on the pavement.)

Monte: Therefore, my affinity for this wondrous sphere should come as no surprise.

(With great solemnity, Monte tosses the ball.)
 
...


What a beautiful dog ^_^

Now, to embark upon my favorite scene...

Like almost every movie, this one has a love story.

     
 
In my opinion, this love story would have worked out better as a paternal relationship due to Morgan Freeman's advanced age... But they went with the lovey-dovey approach. Oh well.
Charlotte O'Neil is a divorced mother who lives on Belle Isle with her three daughters, Willow, Finnegan and Flora. Mrs. O'Neil also plays the piano very beautifully in the evenings. It just so happens that Monte Wildhorn moves in as their next door neighbor. As the two houses grow closer, the youngest daughter, Flora, invites Mr. Wildhorn to her birthday party. Monte willing obliges.

 As a birthday gift to Flora, Monte writes a story about Tony the Elephant, who lives next to a family of mice. Now, the mother mouse fills their home with music every night, and Tony the elephant listens with pleasure. -Any guesses as to where Mr. Wildhorn draws his inspiration? ;)

One evening, when Mr. Wildhorn has a few guests drop by, Mrs. O'Neil begins to play the piano. One of his chief pleasures in life is to hear her play in the evenings. As his guests enquire about the music, he listens and then says, "It's Mrs. O'Neil next door. Real fine lady... Right now, she's talking to me." He turns a smiles to his guests, "And if you don't mind, it's a personal conversation."


   As his guests leave, Mrs. O'Neil plays gently on the piano...

 
 
And Monte listens through the open window.
 
 
 
That's how it appeared from the outside, but inside the heart of these two lovers, the view looked more like this...
 
 
As I sat on my porch last night, this image came to mind. I had been listening to the wind blowing in the night and I felt my soul be... still. The way the wind blew made me feel as if something new would come along any second. Some new adventure. I used to expect those all the time as a child. My eyes opened to the sky and recognized familiar stars. These stars always make me want to reach out and touch my Father's Heart. So I did. I reached out my hand to the stars and began to make swirling motions around them. I smiled and sang, knowing He was near. I felt peace. As I rocked gently in my chair, this image came to mind. I realized this was our midnight soiree.

I once heard a classmate remark, "Yeah, I heard some people think they're married to Jesus. Like, how can you be married to God?"

He was wondering how someone who is physically here on earth can have a connection to something (Someone) who is not physically here. I was shaken and wishing for the words that could describe the beauty I find it what my spirit knows about this question.

"The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit; that we are children of God." ~Romans 8:16

"If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him." ~John 14:23

I think both these verses are a beautiful picture of what it looks like for Jesus, Father God, and the Holy Spirit to move in and have communion with us. To end, here is one of my favorite verses that states very simply who this God of ours is...

"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is... there is freedom." ~2 Corinthians 3:17
 

1 comment:

  1. Good post, a nice picture of the beauty of the love between God and us.

    FWIW, It's quite unlikely, given Monte's age, that he was known to throw a mean cut fastball. No one has really been known for a cut fastball until Mariano Rivera (popular by the late 90's), and while cut fastballs existed before then, that terminology was remote until at least the 1980's. But the brilliant aesthetic of a wheelchair bound old guy playing fetch with an uninterested dog is worth the incongruity.

    ReplyDelete