Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Summer Search

Haha! It is finally summer! After a stressful semester and little time to enjoy God's Heart, I am going to attempt to get back to those simple pleasures in life. I recently heard a song by the beautiful Sara Bareilles called "Once Upon Another Time" that captured my feelings precisely.

Once upon another time
Before I knew which life was mine
Before I left the child behind me
I saw myself in summer nights
And stars lit up like candle light
I make my wish but mostly I believed...

In yellow lines and tire marks
Sun-kissed skin and handle bars
And where I stood was where I was to be

...Because I was free

So this summer, I will attempt to return to joy in various ways.
  • Being Outdoors- I have already began to ride my bike instead of driving, this has already provided a great improvement. True, I wear a dorky helmet, but it is freeing to have open air brushing past my face. My new apartment has a screen door to an open back yard, past the stairway balcony. In the evenings, I can open it and let the cool air and sounds of children screaming and playing join me as I read or make supper.
  • Taking in a Great Story- I enjoy doing this through books and movies. There are certain stories or songs, or lines from books that stick with me. I think these are winks from God, messages he sends to me to say, "I'm with you, kid!" They're like precious buttons I collect. So, this blog will publish these buttons, shine them and cherish them, and see what lessons I can learn and share.
For my next post, I will be writing a reaction to the movie Into the Wild. This is the true story of a college aged boy who, giving up the comforts of his privileged life style, sets off in pursuit of a life that is full of something... more.

The following screen shots are from one of my favorite conversations in the movie, where Chris McCandless, aka Alexander Supertramp, tells Wayne (Vince Vaughn) why he wants to escape... Into the Wild...

 
 
Feel free to join me in watching this movie :)

 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment