Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Sparrow's Providence

I have recently noticed the adorableness of sparrows. While visiting my hometown, I sat on the porch one morning when the fattest little sparrow perched himself on a clothesline post. As he sat there chirping, his little feathers ruffled up and down his body. He was so serious in his delivery of the twittering song.
 
 
It was too cute to behold. I wanted to peel out with laughter at how precious that little bird was.

The verses in Matthew 10:29-31 and Luke 12:6-7 both describe God's tender watch over sparrows, and the song "His Eye is on the Sparrow" also describes a creature that is preciously watched over.

The reference is to God's tender watch over his children, as well as the sparrow. However, I have recently found out an interesting fact about sparrows that deepened the narrative to me.

More than any other bird, sparrows prefer to live near human dwellings. They're drawn to the availability of food from bird feeders and gardens, as well as the warmth provided from streetlamps during the winter. They are drawn towards human providence.

Isn't that a beautiful picture? I see the sparrows each morning outside of my apartment, happily plopping along the balcony stairs. They start out each morning in search of the day's nourishment. It brings me so much joy to see them draw near to my own establishment in search of food and shelter.

How much more God must feel when we draw near to him to provide for us and shelter us. It just reminds me how much God has to offer, that we would be drawn to him again and again, discovering each time how rich His heart is.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are more valuable than many sparrows."  ~Matthew 10:29-31

 

No comments:

Post a Comment